Ethiopia condemns Italy’s irresponsible position on Eritrea’s disruptive activities in Horn: Ministry
Addis Ababa, (ENA)Ethiopia condemned the irresponsible statement issued by the Italian Foreign Ministry and the position taken by the Italian Government on Eritrea’s destabilization activities in Horn of Africa, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, the ministry said despite glaring fact, the ministry of foreign affairs of Italy has issued a totally biased and ill-formed statement on 19, March 2012.
The ministry said Eritrea destabilization activities throughout the Horn of Africa sub-region have long been condemned by the international community.
Accordingly, the United Nation Security Council has already passed a series of resolutions imposing sanctions on the regime, it said.
However, the regime has so far refused to heed the call of the international community to desist from supporting extremist elements in the region, the ministry noted.
Instead, the regime has made it a habit to portray itself as a victim when, in fact , it is the arch-culprit in this dangerous game of destabilization, it said.
Presently, Ethiopia has exercised its right of self-defense in accordance with the UN charter by taking restrained measures against the regime in response to the recent cross border killing and abduction of innocent tourist , the region has once gain been trying to portray itself as the victim.
Apparently, it has succeeded in hoodwinking some despite the mountain of evidence to the contrary.
Despite this glaring fact, the ministry of foreign affairs of Italy has issued a totally biased and ill-formed statement on 19, March 2012 .
As a result, Italy has audaciously come out in defense of Eritrea’s horrendous destabilization activities in the horn.
The ministry noted that Italy has never been condemned Eritrean continues violent acts of destabilization in the sub-region, despite numerous resolution of the UN AU and IGAD to that effect .
Italy’s biased statement clearly portrays its position to condone Eritrea’s subversive activities in the sub-region, the ministry said.
The ministry said Italy knows full well Eritrea’s support for terrorist activities in our sub-region, which over the years have caused the loss of civilian lives including Italian Tourists.
It said Italy’s lack of even a modicum of objectivity and genuine concern for such matters of grave concern to the region and the international community as a whole is indeed baffling.
The ministry said the callous behavior of Italy demonstrates that it is neither willing nor capable of playing constructive role in the Horn of Africa.